• negation; negative word; refusal, denial; image from which a picture is obtained in which black and white colors appear reversed (photography)
• deny, veto; refute, disprove; negate; reject
• pessimistic, cynical, antagonistic; denying, contrary; of a quantity less than zero; having fewer protons than electrons (physics)
• negative is used to describe statements that mean `no'.
• if an answer is in the negative, it is `no'.
• if someone is negative or has a negative attitude, they consider only the bad aspects of a situation, rather than the good ones.
• if a medical or other scientific test is negative, it shows that something has not happened or is not present.
• a negative is the image that is first produced when you take a photograph.
• a negative number is less than zero.
• character or message sent by a receiving modem to a sending modem to indicate that a data packet has arrived incomplete and must be re-sent, nak (computers, telecommunications)
• advertisement (esp. a political advertisement) that does not promote the positive qualities of one person/product but rather attacks and exposes the faults of another person/product
• negative reply, answer that is not positive
• negative treatment, approach which is not positive
• downsides, unfavorable parts
• attitude which expresses denial or refusal, opposing relation
• political campaign in which a candidate or party member does not promote his own positive qualities but rather attacks and exposes the faults of his rivals
• condition in which there are huge losses of capital from stocks and funds
• negative electricity, type of charge carried by an electron
• part of a sentence used to indicate negative (grammar)
• order not to do
• order not to do
• giving of a negative evaluation, vote on defects or faults
• negative charge, type of charge carried by an electron
• bad feeling, feeling that is not positive
• force that is not directed toward positive channels, destructive energy
• negative reinforcement, criticism, negative response
• unfavorable likeness, unfavorable image; total that is less than zero
• negative acceleration, deceleration
negative income tax
• payment made by a country to a citizen in order to provide him with the minimum income
• power to effect things in an undesirable or negative way; something or someone that has an undesirable effect
• change that reduces the amount of money in the economy
• condition in which the nominal rebate is lower than the rate of inflation
• atoms which carry a negative electrical charge
• unfavorable trace, unfavorable note
• number that is less than zero, minus
• bad outcome, poor results
• promise not to mortgage property
• pole of a magnet which carries a negative electrical charge
• religious law that prohibits a jew from doing a particular deed
• reaction of placing and then removing all discomfort as a method of encouraging the continuation of the desired behavior
• removal of an unpleasant stimulus as a method of encouraging the continuance of a certain behavior
• negative outcome, result that is not desired
• minus sign, the sign -
• shameful element, mark of disgrace
negative trade balance
• (international trade) condition created when there are more goods imported than exported
• unpleasant characteristic, negative quality
• loss, lack of proceeds, negative return
• a double negative is a grammatical construction in which two negatives are used. in english, only one negative is needed, and double negatives, for example `i didn't never say that', are considered to be incorrect.
in the negative