فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: abolishes, abolishing, abolished
مشتقات: abolisher (n.), abolishment (n.)
• (1) تعریف: to do away with; put a stop to; end.
• مترادف: abrogate, annihilate, annul, cancel, end, invalidate, nullify, remove, repeal, rescind, retract, revoke, terminate, void
• متضاد: create, establish, initiate, retain
• مشابه: blot out, countermand, cut out, dissolve, extinguish, nol-pros, quash, reverse, supersede
- Compulsory military service has been abolished.
- They argued over whether the death penalty should be abolished.
- The Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 abolished slavery in the British Empire.
• (2) تعریف: to take out of existence.
• مترادف: annihilate, destroy, eliminate, end, eradicate, expunge, exterminate, extinguish, extirpate, obliterate, wipe out
• متضاد: create, establish
• مشابه: blot out, demolish, devastate, ravage, subvert, suppress
- Some wish to abolish the former leader's name from the history books.