• writing desk; dresser; office
• a bureau is an office, organization, or government department that collects and distributes information.
• a bureau is also a desk with drawers and a lid that opens to form a writing surface; an old-fashioned use.
• see also bureaux.
bureau for indian affairs
• bureau of the u.s. department of the interior that deals with education health and social services for native americans
bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms
• branch of the u.s. treasury that is responsible for enforcing laws regarding the sale use and production of alcohol tobacco and firearms, atf
bureau of economic analysis
• bureau of the u.s. department of commerce that collects data about the economy and publishes yearly statistics (such as the gross national product, etc.)
bureau of engineers
• department of engineers
bureau of labor statistics
• u.s. government agency which collects data about the u.s. economy and labor market and publishes statistical analyses for the general public, bls
bureau of land management
• branch of the u.s. department of the interior that controls the use of public lands
bureau of printing and engraving
• bureau of the u.s. treasury that designs engraves and prints all types of valuable federal bills and vouchers (currency, postage stamps, treasury notes, food stamps, etc.)
bureau of prisons
• bureau of the u.s. department of justice that oversees federal prisons and penitentiaries
bureau of public debt
• bureau of the u.s. treasury that supervises government borrowing and manages the government's debt
bureau of reclamation
• branch of the u.s. department of the interior that oversees projects for restoring dry desert lands in western states (deals with water conservation, water supplies. flood control, etc.)
bureau of the census
• branch of the u.s. department of commerce that make a count of the population every 10 years (for statistical data and to determine congressional representation)
• main office, headquarters, primary office
citizens advice bureau
• the citizens' advice bureau is a voluntary organization in britain which gives people free advice, often on legal or financial problems.
• (in japan) bureau responsible for administrative duties having to do with the conferral of awards (the bureau conducts studies and research on the awards system and plans and selects recipients for the biannual decoration ceremonies and other awards)
• employment office, occupations agency, company which places employees into vacant jobs
• information office, intelligence service
land registry bureau
• official body that deals with registering real estate
municipal information bureau
• information service which provides information on city matters
• reporters' headquarters
• office that deals with satisfying customers in a certain area and has the ability of data processing
• office that provides travelers with information about the country they are in or the place they want to visit
• a travel bureau is the same as a travel agency.
• meteorological office