اسم ( noun )
عبارات: behind one's back, turn one's back on
• (1) تعریف: the part of a human or other vertebrate that is on the opposite side from the chest and abdomen and between the neck and the tailbone.
• مشابه: posterior
• (2) تعریف: the backbone; spine.
• مترادف: backbone, rachis, spinal column, spine
• مشابه: chine, vertebrae
- She felt a shiver down her back.
• (3) تعریف: the part or side that is opposite the front; reverse; rear.
• مترادف: backside, rear, reverse
• متضاد: face, front
• مشابه: rear end, stern
- She found the blanket in the back of the car.
- Put your name on the back of this paper.
• (4) تعریف: a support at the rear.
• مشابه: backing, backrest, support
- the back of the chair
فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: backs, backing, backed
• (1) تعریف: to move (something) in the reverse or opposite direction; cause to go backward.
• مترادف: reverse
• متضاد: advance
- She carefully backed the car out of the garage.
• (2) تعریف: to formally give support to.
• مترادف: endorse
• متضاد: oppose
• مشابه: advocate, aid, assist, champion, help, patronize, promote, sanction, sponsor, support, sustain, underwrite, uphold
- The President has promised to back the governor in the next election.
• (3) تعریف: to substantiate with facts or logic (often fol. by "up").
• مترادف: corroborate, substantiate, validate
• مشابه: confirm, establish, justify, sustain, vouch for
- He was not able to back up his claim that the earth is flat.
• (4) تعریف: to bet on the success of.
• مترادف: bet on
• مشابه: stake
- The horse he backed came in the winner today.
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
عبارات: back out of
• : تعریف: to move backward or in the reverse direction (often fol. by "up").
• مترادف: retreat, reverse
• متضاد: advance
• مشابه: back-pedal, backtrack, recede, withdraw
- He'd gone too far into the intersection and had to back up his car.
صفت ( adjective )
عبارات: back and forth, back up
• (1) تعریف: located in or near the rear of something else.
• مترادف: rear
• متضاد: front
• مشابه: aft, dorsal, hind, posterior, reverse, tail, wrong
- The children always ride in the back seat of the car.
• (2) تعریف: owed from an earlier time; overdue.
• مترادف: overdue
• مشابه: late, tardy
- back pay
• (3) تعریف: not current; old.
• متضاد: future
• مشابه: expired, former, old, out-of-date, past
- back issues of a newspaper
قید ( adverb )
مشتقات: backless (adj.)
• (1) تعریف: toward the direction that is opposite from forward; backward; away.
- The police ordered the crowd to move back.
• (2) تعریف: in the direction of an earlier time or a former place or position.
- She thought back to happier times when she was in school.
- He'd reached the bus stop when he realized he had to go back home for his wallet.
- She put the book back on the shelf.
• (3) تعریف: in return or in reply.
- She left me a message when she phoned, but I forgot to call her back.
- He hit me, and I hit him back.