1. A butterfly is produced by metamorphosis from a caterpillar.
2. These secretions are used by the caterpillar as a defence.
3. A caterpillar is the larva of a butterfly.
4. The caterpillar was transformed into a butterfly.
5. A caterpillar transforms into a butterfly.
6. The plant toxin renders both the caterpillar and the adult butterfly particularly repellent to natural enemies.
7. The glycosides are even retained as the caterpillar changes into a butterfly and help to protect it from predatory birds.
8. Several butterfly species live out their caterpillar stage inside an ants' nest.
9. The sixth one was called caterpillar it was two long planks of wood with poles coming out of it.
10. Just as only a caterpillar can become a butterfly, the formal stage seems a necessary developmental step to the skilful stage.
11. One caterpillar was mushy, presumably the victim of a virus or bacterial infection.
12. In this collection, he has embraced Caterpillar work boots, done up for him in two-tone suede.
13. When the caterpillar is fully grown it usually hangs upside down from a leaf or plant stem, and begins to pupate.
14. The old caterpillar skin peels back and falls away.