• bite; act of chewing
• grind food with the teeth
• when you chew food, you break it up with your teeth and make it easier to swallow.
• if you say that someone has bitten off more than they can chew, you mean that they are trying to do something which is too difficult for them.
• if you chew over a problem or an idea, you think carefully about it; an informal expression.
• masticate, grind with one's teeth; contemplate, consider
• scold a person severely (e.g.: "diane's mom was so angry with diane when she did not come home by 3:00 am, she chewed diane out and then grounded her for a week")
• consider, contemplate; discuss, engage in conversation
chew the cud
• regurgitate the contents of the stomach and chew them again (done by cows and other ruminants)
chew the rag with someone
• chat with somebody, make friendly conversation with someone
• consider something, think about -, meditate on -
bite off more than one can chew
• take on a bigger task than one is capable of completing