اسم ( noun )
• (1) تعریف: a comic performer, as in a circus, who wears odd clothes and exaggerated makeup and entertains by jokes, tricks, juggling, and the like.
• مشابه: fool, harlequin, humorist, jester, mime, pantomime
- My little boy likes the clowns more than the acrobats at the circus.
• (2) تعریف: a person who acts in a comical, prankish manner.
• مترادف: buffoon, comedian, cutup, farceur, jester, joker, wag, zany
• مشابه: comic, harlequin, merry-andrew, prankster
- We loved him in school because he was always such a clown, making us laugh all the time.
• (3) تعریف: a crude, impolite, or oafish person.
• مترادف: boor, churl, lout
• مشابه: brute, joker, oaf, yahoo
- Why did you insult her like that, you clown!
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
حالات: clowns, clowning, clowned
مشتقات: clownish (adj.), clownishly (adv.), clownishness (n.)
• : تعریف: to perform as a clown or seek to amuse others through comical, prankish behavior (sometimes fol. by "around").
• مترادف: jest, joke
• مشابه: fool, kid, wisecrack
- He's clowning with a European circus now.
- I never take him seriously because he's always clowning.
- Stop clowning around and get back to work.