اسم ( noun )
• (1) تعریف: an expression of praise, admiration, or approval.
• مترادف: laudation
• متضاد: criticism, insult, rebuke, stricture
• مشابه: accolade, admiration, approval, commendation, congratulation, encomium, homage, kudos, panegyric, praise, tribute
- The director's compliment on her performance meant a lot to her as an actress.
- She says her husband never gives her compliments anymore.
- She meant her remark as a compliment, but he took it as a criticism.
- He dresses well and gets frequent compliments on his suits.
• (2) تعریف: a formal act of courtesy or respect.
• مترادف: homage, respects, salutation, salute, tribute
• متضاد: slight
• مشابه: acknowledgment, encomium, eulogy, panegyric, toast
- As a compliment to the French ambassador, the orchestra struck up "La Marseillaise."
• (3) تعریف: (pl.) a formal greeting or expression of regard.
• مترادف: greetings, regards, respects, salutation
- My father sends his compliments to you and your family.
- I'd like to offer my compliments to the chef.
فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: compliments, complimenting, complimented
• (1) تعریف: to give a compliment to.
• مترادف: applaud, laud, praise
• متضاد: abuse, criticize, disparage, insult, malign
• مشابه: acclaim, approve, commend, congratulate, extol, felicitate, honor, salute
- The boss complimented us on our work today.
• (2) تعریف: to display affection or respect by a gift or favor.
• مترادف: favor
• مشابه: applaud, congratulate, honor, salute, toast
- They complimented the groom's family with a special gift.