• physical or mental exertion, labor; attempt; something accomplished through hard work; organized operation
• if you make an effort to do something, you try hard to do it.
• if you do something with effort, it is difficult for you to do.
• if you say that an action is an effort, you mean that an unusual amount of physical or mental energy is needed to do it.
• if you describe an object or an action as a poor or feeble effort, you mean it has not been well made or well done.
concentration of effort
• principle of war which states that in order to win a battle one concentrates power in order to take advantage over the enemy
• harmonious effort, effort in which actions are made compatible
• continuous struggle, ongoing exertion or labour
• team effort, cooperative project
last ditch effort
• final attempt, attempt made when there is little time left
made an effort
• put forth some effort, made an attempt
made every effort
• did his utmost, did his very best
make an effort
• try hard, exert oneself
making an effort
• trying, making an attempt, working at
• greatest possible effort
• effort made by one's body, bodily exertion, physical exertion
put forth an effort
• work hard, make an effort
spared no effort• worked very ...