فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: flings, flinging, flung
• (1) تعریف: to throw violently or forcefully; hurl.
• مترادف: heave, hurl, sling
• مشابه: cast, catapult, chuck, dash, hurtle, launch, pitch, propel, throw, toss
- The mob flung rocks at the government soldiers.
• (2) تعریف: to engage (oneself) forcefully or energetically.
• مترادف: launch, throw
• مشابه: engage, immerse, pitch into, plunge
- She flung herself into the project.
• (3) تعریف: to move or send forcefully or abruptly; cast.
• مترادف: cast, throw
• مشابه: catapult, heave, hurl, lash, launch, pitch, send
- The bus was getting crowded, and he flung himself into the empty seat.
- The police flung the protesters into prison.
• (4) تعریف: to discard or throw aside (often fol. by away or aside).
• مترادف: chuck, discard, toss
• مشابه: cast, deep-six, drop, heave, junk, pitch, slough
- She decided just to fling those old shoes.
- He simply flung aside his chance for getting that scholarship.
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
• : تعریف: to move or throw oneself about energetically or violently.
• مترادف: flounce, tear
• مشابه: dash, fly, hurl, race, rush
- She was so angry that she flung about the house breaking things.
اسم ( noun )
مشتقات: flinger (n.)
عبارات: take a fling at
• (1) تعریف: the act of flinging.
• مترادف: heave, throw
• مشابه: cast, launch, pitch, toss
- With a quick fling, she sent the smooth flat rock skipping across the water.
• (2) تعریف: a short period of unrestrained pleasure-seeking or revelry; spree.
• مترادف: binge, spree
• مشابه: bacchanal, bout, carouse, frolic, orgy, revel, romp, saturnalia, splurge, wassail
- He had one last fling before settling down and getting married.
- Her semester in Europe was more of a fling than a serious period of study.
• (3) تعریف: a brief love affair, usu. with little or no emotional significance.
• مشابه: affair, amour, intrigue, liaison
- He insisted to his wife that the time spent with this old girlfriend had just been a fling.