• occasion which requires fancy dress (dance, ball, etc.); evening gown
• ceremonious; conventional; according to custom; stiff; strict; symmetrical; requiring fancy dress
• formal speech or behaviour is correct, rather than relaxed and friendly, and is used especially in official situations.
• a formal statement or action is one that is done officially.
• formal occasions are ones at which people wear smart clothes and behave correctly rather than casually. formal clothes are clothes suitable for formal occasions.
• a formal garden or room is arranged in a neat and regular way.
• formal education or training is given officially, usually in a school or college.
• see also formality.
• official rite or observance, stately observance
• accepted procedure, authorized institutions
• defect which is regular in shape
• official business or affairs, official procedure
• explicit/official legal proceedings
• official greeting, ceremonious or stately welcome
• chemical liquid solvent (mostly used in the production of rubber)