• enterprise, drive, ambition; beginning move in a process, first step
• beginning, introductory, initial
• an initiative is an important act that is intended to solve a problem.
• if you have the initiative, you are in a stronger position than your opponents.
• if you have initiative, you are able to take action without needing other people to tell you what to do.
• if you do something on your own initiative, you do it without being told to do it by someone else.
• if you take the initiative, you are the first person to do something.
• attack initiated by the attacker
act on one's own initiative
• act without warrant or support; take action on one's own
• public policy issue that is voted on by the general population (often initiated by a citizens' petition)
counter an initiative
• oppose an enterprise, be against an initiative
displayed the initiative
• showed enterprise, showed a readiness and ability to act
• profit earning business begun by private individuals
• desire to bring about a lasting peace
• displaying an ability to make things happen, revealing an inclination to initiate
shows no initiative
• demonstrates no resourcefulness
strategic defense initiative• "star wars", american military plan for destroying incoming nuclear missiles while they are still in the air (first announced by former president ronald reagan), sdi ...