• country in southwestern asia at the eastern end of the mediterranean sea; people of israel, jewish people; name given to jacob after he wrestled with the angel (biblical)
• the state of israel is a country in south-west asia, on the eastern mediterranean. israel was founded in 1948 by immigrants from europe and the rest of the world whose goal had been to establish a jewish homeland. as a result of the war with neighbouring arab states which followed, about 800,000 palestinian arabs were left homeless. since the war of 1967, israel has occupied the gaza strip, golan heights, and the west bank, which are known collectively as the occupied territories. a palestinian uprising, called the intifada, began in 1987. negotiations between israel, the palestinians and neighbouring arab states on the status of the occupied territories began in 1991. they culminated in an agreement between israel and the plo in 1993. israel recognized the plo as representing the palestinian people. the plo recognized the state of israel and renounced violence. in 1994 palestinians were granted self-rule in jericho and the gaza strip. negotiations continue about palestinian autonomy on the west bank. in 1994 israel and jordan began negotiations after forty-six years. israel exports polished diamonds, citrus and other fruits, and textiles. ezer weizman, of the labour party, became president in 1993. itzhak rabin, of the labour party, became prime minister in 1992.
israel aircraft industries
• businesses in israel which design and manufacture aircraft
israel aircraft industry
• design and manufacture of of aircraft in israel
israel athletics federation
• association of israeli athletes
israel basketball association• body responsible for official ba ...