اسم ( noun )
• : تعریف: a slender strip of wood or cardboard with a combustible material on the end that is ignited by friction.
- He used a long match to light the fire.
اسم ( noun )
• (1) تعریف: a person or thing that is identical to or like another.
• مترادف: companion, counterpart, double, mate, twin
• مشابه: clone, copy, duplicate, equal, equivalent, fellow, likeness, reproduction
- This ring is utterly unique; you won't find its match in any store in the city.
- I looked through all the socks but couldn't find a match for the striped one.
• (2) تعریف: a person able to equal another, as in a contest or other activity.
• مترادف: challenger, equal, peer, rival
• مشابه: equivalent, parallel
- He was no match for her in spelling.
• (3) تعریف: a competitive sport or game.
• مترادف: competition, contest, game, tournament
• مشابه: boat, challenge, event, meet
- It was an exciting tennis match.
• (4) تعریف: a pairing or potential pairing of two people in a marriage or other union.
• مترادف: marriage, pairing, union
• مشابه: alliance, partnership
- Both families celebrated the match.
- At the time the match was decided, the future bride and groom had never seen each other.
- We always thought you two were an excellent match.
فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: matches, matching, matched
• (1) تعریف: to be the same as or equal to.
• مترادف: equal, parallel, rival
• مشابه: touch
- His skill does not match hers.
• (2) تعریف: to find and put together (things that are identical or very much alike).
• مترادف: coordinate, fit, mate, pair, suit
• مشابه: accord, combine, complement, mesh
- The object of the game is to match the cards.
• (3) تعریف: to put together with someone as a competitor or partner.
• مترادف: pit
• مشابه: oppose, pair
- Do you know who you'll be matched with in the competition?
- There were more women than men in the dance class, so she was matched with one of the teachers.
• (4) تعریف: perform at or reach the same level as.
• مترادف: equal
- He was never able to match the performance that he gave that night.
- Do you think we'll match last night's ticket sales?
• (5) تعریف: to have the identical appearance or features of.
- Those paint colors don't match each other.
- This chair matches the one in the hall.
- Her blood type matches mine.
- The pattern of the quilt matches the pattern of the curtains.
• (6) تعریف: to give in the same amount of.
- If you donate to this important cause this evening, these organizations will match your donation.
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
مشتقات: matchable (adj.), matched (adj.)
• : تعریف: to be of corresponding appearance, as in size, color, or the like.
• مترادف: agree, blend, coordinate, correspond, go, harmonize, tally
• متضاد: clash
• مشابه: coincide, pair
- Your socks don't match.