فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: meets, meeting, met
• (1) تعریف: to come into contact with; encounter.
• مترادف: encounter
• متضاد: miss
• مشابه: bump into, come across, confront, cross, face, greet, happen upon, hit, run across
- He happened to meet his boss at the post office on Saturday.
• (2) تعریف: to come into the company or presence of (someone) at a designated time and place.
• مترادف: encounter, join
• متضاد: avoid, shun
• مشابه: greet, receive, welcome
- I'll meet you at the bus station at noon.
- Our friends are going to meet us at the restaurant.
• (3) تعریف: to make the acquaintance of; be introduced to.
• مترادف: greet
• مشابه: acquaint with, welcome
- We met our son's English teacher at the school's open house last week.
• (4) تعریف: to fulfill (a need, demand or the like).
• مترادف: fulfill, satisfy
• مشابه: abide by, comply with, gratify
- He meets all the requirements for the position.
• (5) تعریف: to come together with in collision or conflict.
• مترادف: confront, encounter
• مشابه: affront, battle, engage, face, join
- The battalion met the enemy at dawn.
• (6) تعریف: to face or deal with directly.
• مترادف: confront, face
• متضاد: avoid, shirk
• مشابه: affront, brave, cope, encounter, face up to, front, grapple with, greet, tackle, wrestle with
- He met death bravely.
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
عبارات: meet halfway, more than meets the eye
• (1) تعریف: to come to one spot and see one another, by plan or chance.
• مشابه: come across, confer, connect, consult, contact, convene, converge, encounter, gather, join, unite
- Why don't we meet in the hotel lobby at six o'clock?
- My old boyfriend and I met by accident on the bus yesterday.
• (2) تعریف: to have a meeting or discussion with another person or persons.
- I met with the lawyer today to discuss the terms of the agreement.
- The principal met with the student's parents this morning.
• (3) تعریف: to assemble together, as for a meeting or other scheduled event.
• مترادف: assemble, convene, gather
• مشابه: caucus, cluster, collect, concentrate, congregate, congress, forgather, muster, rally
- The committee will meet next Tuesday.
- The chess club will not be meeting at its usual time next week.
• (4) تعریف: to make the acquaintance of each other.
- Her parents had met during college.
• (5) تعریف: to form a junction; converge.
• مترادف: converge, intersect
• متضاد: diverge, separate
• مشابه: abut, adjoin, connect, cross, join
- The two roads meet as they near the center of town.
• (6) تعریف: to agree.
• مترادف: agree, concur
• مشابه: accord, correspond
- Their ideas met exactly.
اسم ( noun )
• : تعریف: an assembly or gathering, often for athletic competition.
• مترادف: competition
• مشابه: assembly, contest, engagement, field day, game, match, race, tournament
- a track meet
صفت ( adjective )
مشتقات: meetly (adv.)
• : تعریف: proper; suitable.
• مترادف: appropriate, proper, suitable
• متضاد: improper
• مشابه: applicable, apposite, apropos, apt, comely, felicitous, fit, fitting, good, happy, right, seemly
- It is not meet that we should laugh and enjoy ourselves on this sad occasion.