1. Monogamy is rare in most animal groups, but is common among birds.
2. People still opt for monogamy and marriage.
3. In many non-Western societies, however, monogamy has never dominated.
4. Monogamy is universal but adultery frequent.
5. But under a regime of monogamy there are limits.
6. It has not done so, however, by imposing monogamy on them.
7. Not that socially imposed monogamy need extend to captive slaves.
8. Serial multipartnerism, which can also be called serial monogamy, means having partners one at a time.
9. The next commonest is monogamy - one male paired with one female.
10. But those who dismiss monogamy as a strategy fail to consider the long-term consequences of maintaining a culture of promiscuity.
11. In monogamy, a single male pairs with a single female.
12. Some females are firm in monogamy, but many more go in for manifold males.
13. It seems unlikely that monogamy is a natural state for the human animal.
14. Monogamy and sexual morality are extremely important to conservatives in the age of AIDS.
15. Family, monogamy, romance. Everywhere exclusiveness, a narrow channelling of impulse and energy. Aldous Huxley