• guard, watch; reconnaissance tour, scouting tour; squad car
• scout, make a reconnaissance tour; keep safe, maintain security
• when soldiers, police, or guards patrol an area or building, they move around it in order to make sure that there is no trouble. verb here but can also be used as a count noun. e.g. an entire platoon was ambushed during a patrol.
• if someone is on patrol, they are patrolling an area.
• a patrol is a group of soldiers or vehicles that are patrolling an area.
• boat that patrols an area
• a patrol boat is a small boat used by the navy for patrolling the coast or for small naval operations.
• police car, emergency vehicle, patrol vehicle
• a patrol car is a police car used for patrolling streets and motorways.
• jeep used in military patrols
• armed motorized ship used for escorting and to patrol near the seashore
barrier combat air patrol
• barcap, patrol of combat aircraft to prevent penetration of enemy aircraft into a particular airspace
combat air patrol
• cap, patrol flight at high or medium altitude in order to identify enemy aircraft
• u.s. naval patrol designed to gather intelligence during the vietnam war
fire upon joint patrol
• shoot at a joint patrol, fire at a patrol made up of soldiers from two or more armies
• patrol made by two or more people, cooperative patrol
mig close air patrol
• search for enemy aircraft in a region without any specific defense assignment, migcap
• tour of police officers
• coast guard, guards at the beach