اسم ( noun )
• (1) تعریف: an official or authoritative approval, as of an action, behavior, or the like; permission.
• مترادف: approval, authorization, consent, imprimatur, leave, license, permission, warranty
• متضاد: interdict
• مشابه: approbation, blessing
- Under pressure from citizen groups, the city council refused to give sanction to the building project.
• (2) تعریف: societal or public support for an action, course of action, or behavior.
• مترادف: approval, assent, consent
- The president's decision had the sanction of the people.
• (3) تعریف: something intended to ensure compliance with a law, such as a penalty for disobedience.
• مترادف: determent, penalty
- Sanctions are in place to prevent such shady dealings.
• (4) تعریف: a principle, consideration, or influence that lends binding force to a moral law, rule of conduct, or the like.
• (5) تعریف: an official decree or law.
• (6) تعریف: an action taken by one or more nations and designed to force another nation to comply with a legal, ethical, or moral code.
- The Council will impose sanctions on the small country if it continues to violate international laws.
- Trade has resumed now that economic sanctions have been lifted.
فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: sanctions, sanctioning, sanctioned
مشتقات: sanctionable (adj.), sanctioned (adj.), sanctioner (n.)
• (1) تعریف: to authorize or permit; allow.
• مترادف: allow, authorize, empower, permit, warrant
• متضاد: interdict
• مشابه: accredit, approve, countenance, endorse, entitle, legalize, license, pass, privilege, ratify
- She sanctioned her son to sell her house and her other property.
• (2) تعریف: to approve of; support.
• مترادف: allow, approve, back, endorse
• مشابه: condone, consent, countenance, encourage, hold a brief for, OK, ratify, support
- The school does not sanction such behavior, and I can assure you that those who took part will be punished.