اسم ( noun )
• (1) تعریف: the extent, stretch, or reach between two points or limits.
• مترادف: distance, length
• مشابه: extent, size
- The span of the waterfall at its crest is over one hundred feet.
• (2) تعریف: the length of time during which something exists.
• مترادف: duration, length, term
- She'd seen many changes in the world during the long span of her life.
• (3) تعریف: the section of a bridge, trestle, or the like between two supports.
- On November 7, 1940, the span of the Tacoma Bridge began to bend and sway; soon after, it broke apart and collapsed.
• (4) تعریف: the distance from the end of the little finger to the end of the thumb when the hand is fully spread out, or approximately nine inches, sometimes used as a unit of measure.
- A concert pianist must have an ample span.
• (5) تعریف: the distance from one wing tip to the other on an airplane or bird; wingspan; wingspread.
• مترادف: wingspan, wingspread
- A bald eagle can have a span of eight feet.
فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: spans, spanning, spanned
• (1) تعریف: to extend, stretch, or reach over or across (space or time).
• مترادف: bridge, cross, traverse
• مشابه: arch, extend, extend over, reach over, stretch, stretch over, vault
- The old bridge that spans the river is made of iron.
- Her life spanned nearly a century.
• (2) تعریف: to measure with or as if with an outspread hand.
• مشابه: measure
- The farmer spanned the height of the horse.
• (3) تعریف: to place or provide a bridge across.
• مترادف: bridge
• مشابه: vault
- The soldiers spanned the river in a few days, using young felled trees and vines.
• (4) تعریف: to surround with the hand or hands.
• مشابه: hold
- Her dance partner spanned her waist and pulled her up into the air.
اسم ( noun )
• : تعریف: a pair of mules, horses, oxen, or the like, hitched and driven together.
• مشابه: team, yoke