فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: spares, sparing, spared
• (1) تعریف: to handle gently or leniently.
• مشابه: favor
- Since it was his first offense, the judge decided to spare him.
• (2) تعریف: to save from undergoing something.
• مترادف: free from, save
• مشابه: acquit, exempt, exonerate, let off, liberate, pardon, redeem, release, reprieve, rescue
- He was spared having to wait.
• (3) تعریف: to refrain from injuring or destroying.
• مترادف: save
• مشابه: avoid, conserve, forbear, protect, safeguard, shelter, shield, withhold
- The judge spared his life but sent him to prison.
- The teacher spared his feelings by not dwelling on his failures.
• (4) تعریف: to use economically or with restraint.
• مترادف: conserve, save
• متضاد: waste
• مشابه: economize, forbear, forgo, hoard, hold, husband, keep, omit, reserve, restrain, scrimp, scrimp on, skimp, withhold
- Please try to spare the hot water.
• (5) تعریف: to allow; afford.
• مترادف: afford, allow
• مشابه: give, grant, provide, relinquish, supply, yield
- Please spare me a minute of your time.
• (6) تعریف: to refrain from including or mentioning.
• مشابه: forgo, omit, withhold
- Please spare me your excuses.
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
• (1) تعریف: to be economical.
• مترادف: economize, stint
• مشابه: pinch pennies, save, scrimp, skimp
• (2) تعریف: to refrain from causing injury or damage.
• مشابه: forbear, withhold
صفت ( adjective )
حالات: sparer, sparest
• (1) تعریف: kept in reserve.
• مترادف: reserve
• مشابه: auxiliary, extra, on hand, substitute, supplementary
- Fortunately, they had a spare tire in the trunk.
• (2) تعریف: being more than needed.
• مترادف: surplus
• مشابه: additional, auxiliary, excess, extra, leftover, odd, superfluous, supplementary, unnecessary
- If you have any spare sheets and towels, we really could use them.
- She gave the homeless man her spare change.
• (3) تعریف: slender; lean.
• مترادف: lank, lean, rawboned, slight
• متضاد: corpulent, curvaceous, stout
• مشابه: emaciated, gaunt, lanky, meager, rangy, scrawny, skinny, slender, tenuous, thin
- She wondered how such a spare boy could eat so much.
• (4) تعریف: barely sufficient; meager.
• مترادف: frugal, lean, meager, scant, scanty
• متضاد: profuse
• مشابه: niggardly, skimpy, slender, sparing, stingy, stringent
- The prisoners were give a spare meal each night.
- The furnishings in the apartment were spare and flimsy.
اسم ( noun )
مشتقات: sparely (adv.), spareness (n.)
• (1) تعریف: a replacement or surplus item that is put aside for future use.
- Don't worry about the tire; we have a spare in the trunk.
• (2) تعریف: in bowling, the knocking down of all pins with two rolls of the ball.
- She didn't get a strike, but she achieved a spare with her second ball.