• soul; supernatural being, demon, ghost; psyche; essence; essential nature; intent; vivacity, energy, animation; character, overall feeling, alcohol (british)
• abduct, remove secretly; invigorate, enliven, animate
• your spirit is the part of you that is not physical and that is connected with your deepest thoughts and feelings.
• the spirit of a dead person is a non-physical part of them that is believed to remain alive after their death.
• a spirit is also a supernatural being.
• spirit is enthusiasm, energy, and self-confidence.
• the spirit in which you do something is the attitude that you show when you are doing it.
• you can refer to your spirits when saying how happy or unhappy you are. for example, if your spirits are high, you are happy.
• the spirit of a law or an agreement is the way that it was intended to be interpreted or applied.
• spirits are strong alcoholic drinks such as whisky and gin.
• if you spirit someone or something out of or into a place, you get them out or in quickly and secretly.
• if you enter into the spirit of an event, you take part in it in an enthusiastic way.
• see also spirited.
• smuggle, take away secretly
• device filled with fluid and a bubble of air which is used to determine if a surface is flat
• a spirit level is a device for testing a surface to see if it is level. it consists of a piece of wood or metal containing a tube of liquid with a bubble of air in it. when the bubble is in the middle of the tube, the surface that the spirit level is on is level.
spirit of god
• holy spirit, the supreme being
spirit of saint louis
• name of airplane used by charles lindbergh during his first non-stop transatlantic flight in 1927
spirit of st louis
• first airplane to be flown in a solo nonstop flight across the atlantic ocean (by charles lindbergh in 1927)
spirit of the age
• spirit of the times, mood of the times
spirit of the idf
• morale of the israeli military
spirit of the law
• intentions of the legislature, true purpose of the ruling
spirit of the times
• fashion, fad, style that fits the era
answer with spirit
• respond in a lively fashion, respond with enthusiasm
break one's spirit
• tame by force, oppress
broke his spirit
• lowered his morale, broke his will, made him lose his will power
• loss of will, depression
enter into the spirit
• get into the mood of things, adopt the feeling of a group or event
• demon, evil supernatural being
• warring nature, battling soul
• someone who is a free spirit is independent and lives as he or she wants to live rather than in a conventional way.
• third person of the trinity, holy ghost (christianity)
• in the christian religion, the holy spirit is one of the three aspects of god, together with god the father and god the son.
in letter and spirit
• written out and acted upon
in the right spirit
• in the right mood, in good spirits
• person whose interests are similar to yours; person who is similar to you in character
• someone who is a kindred spirit has the same view of life that you have.
• alcohol which has had the methyl group added to it
• methylated spirit or methylated spirits is a liquid made from alcohol and other chemicals. it is used for removing stains and as a fuel in small lamps and heaters.
• good-heartedness, quality of being considerate, refinement
• team spirit, group morale; devotion to a political party, party loyalty
• spirit of wanting to be first to do something, spirit of wanting to accomplish something that has never been done before
• spirit of a poet, the inner desire to write poetry