• stir up a and add fuel to a fire; tend a fire by keeping it supplied with fuel
• if you stoke a fire, you make sure it is kept alight by poking it or putting more fuel onto it.
• to stoke an emotion or conflict means to make it stronger or worse.
• if you stoke up a fire, you add fuel to it in order to increase its strength.
• if you stoke up something such as a feeling, idea or conflict, you make it stronger or more intense, or you make it worse.
stoke on trent
• city in staffordshire (england)