• flexible muscular organ in the bottom of the mouth (used for tasting, swallowing and human speech); animal's tongue that is used for food; language or dialect; tongue-shaped object
• your tongue is the soft movable part inside your mouth that you use for tasting, licking, and speaking.
• you can refer to a language as a tongue; a literary use.
• tongue is the cooked tongue of an ox.
• if you hold your tongue, you do not say anything.
• a slip of the tongue is a small mistake that you make when you are speaking.
tongue in cheek
• mockingly, tauntingly
• a tongue-in-cheek remark is made as a joke, and is not serious or sincere.
tongue of flame
• blaze, gleaming fire
tongue of land
• strip of land that is in the ocean, reef, sandbank, shoal
• if you are tongue-tied, you are unable to say anything because you feel shy or nervous.
• a tongue-twister is a sentence or expression which is very difficult to say properly, especially when you try to say it quickly. for example, `she sells seashells on the seashore' is a tongue-twister.
bit his tongue
• kept quiet, didn't say anything
bite one's tongue
• restrain oneself, keep quiet
burn the tongue
• be burnt by hot or spicy food on one's tongue; lie or speak outrageously
• decent language
click one's tongue
• make a ticking sound using the tongue against the roof of the mouth
coated tongue• tongue whi ...