• planet or globe; particular part of earth; planet earth; universe, cosmos; humankind; general public, public as a whole; material realm (as opposed to the spiritual realm); a lot, very much
• the world is the planet that we live on.
• the world is also all the people who live on this planet.
• world is used to describe someone or something that is one of the best or most important of its kind.
• someone's world is their life, experiences, and the relationships they have with other people.
• a particular world is a field of activity, and the people involved in it.
• you can refer to a particular group of countries or a particular period in history as the western world, the arab world, the ancient world, and so on.
• you can refer to the state of being alive as this world and to a state of existence after death as the next world.
• you can refer to a group of living things as the animal world, the plant world, or the insect world.
• you can refer to another planet as a world.
• you can use in the world with superlatives to emphasize that the thing you are talking about is the most important, significant, or extreme of its kind.
• the world over means throughout the world.
• if someone has or wants the best of both worlds, they have or want all the benefits from two different situations, without the disadvantages.
• if you think the world of someone or something, you admire them very much.
• if something does you the world of good, it makes you feel better; an informal expression.
• if there is a world of difference between two things, they are very different from each other.
• monetary institution that supplies credit for the investment and opening with the guarantee of the state
• worldwide organization
• active city in which worldwide business takes place
• best in the world, one who won a world championship in a particular field
• finals competition, competition for the title of world champion
• of the highest level, of the highest quality
• a world-class sports player or musician is one of the best in the world at what they do.
• icj, international court of justice, court of the united nations composed of 15 judges and is located in the hague
• competition for the world championship (in sports)
world cup preliminaries
• games which determine which countries will qualify to play soccer in the world cup
world economic forum
• wef, annual meeting of chief executives of the richest corporations in the world and of political leaders (presidents, prime ministers etc.) and selected journalists which is held in davos (switzerland)
• general term for several large expositions that took place since the middle of the 19th century
• having a well-known reputation internationally, very famous around the world
• someone or something that is world-famous is known about by people all over the world.
world federation of trade unions
• association comprised of associated and affiliated trade unions that represent the common interests of about 130 million workers from 120 countries throughout the world, wftu
world health organization
• who, agency of the united nations which promotes the improvement of health conditions for people around the world
• general history, history of the entire world
world jewish congress
• assembly of jewish leaders from around the world
world jewish relief
• jewish aid organization located in london
• judaism of the world, judaism in the diaspora
• international language
world meteorological organization
• wmo, worldwide professional association for meteorologists from all nations
• very much, a lot
world of fashion
• everything related to fashion
world of good
• much benefit, very much good
world of make believe
• imaginary world, fantasy world
world of mystery
• imaginary world where all sorts of strange things can happen
world of phantasy
• imaginary world, fantasy world
world of silence
• world under water, undersea world, aquatic world
• throughout the world
• peace among the nations, general state of the absence of war in the world
• superpower, something which has worldwide influence
• first public presentation around the world
• amongst the best in the world
• the best achievement in a particular field in the world
• famous around the world, world famous
• playoff championship series of baseball games played between the winners of the american league and the national league
• in the united states, the world series is an annual series of games that is held between the winners of the two major baseball leagues to decide the overall champions.
world spanish federation
• organization of sephardic jews
world to come
• afterlife, life after death
world trade center
• complex of office buildings in manhattan (new york, usa) that included a pair of skyscrapers that were among the largest in the world and were known as the "twin towers" (on september 11, 2001, two hijacked planes crashed into the towers causing them to fall to the ground)
world trade organization
• international organization which handles and promotes international commerce
world union of jewish students
• international youth organization encouraging jewish studies and involvement in israel
• world-outlook, one's point of view of the world around
• war involving most of the major powers of the world (i.e. wwi, wwii)
• a world war is a war involving countries from all over the world.
world war i
• wwi, major war fought from 1914-1918 between the central powers and the allies that took place primarily in the middle east and europe
against the world
• opposed to everything, against all
all over the world
• throughout the world, in every place of the world, worldwide
all the world
• everyone; entire world, whole world
brave new world
• futuristic novel written by aldous huxley and published in 1932; 1999 musical recording by the rock band styx
• world in which society has been transformed by technology and science, new and progressive world
bring into the world
• beget, procreate, give birth
brought into this world
• born, begot, created
citizen of the world
• sophisticated person, open minded person, person with wide knowledge
come into the world
• be born
computer graphics world
• monthly american magazine that covers topics related to computer graphics video and animation
creation of the world
• formation of the world, making of the world
dead to the world
• (slang) asleep, sleeping
departed this world
• died, passed away
dog eat dog world
• world full of competition
• world of the imagination, land of make-believe, world of illusions or fantasy, unreal world
end of the world
• apocalypse, revelation or vision of the end of the world (especially in jewish and christian writings); dreadful destiny, fate that is not pleasant
enriched his spiritual world
• increased his knowledge of spiritual things
• all of the elements which make up the fashion industry (models, designers, stylish clothing, etc.)
• modern non-communist industrialized nations (including japan, the usa, canada, and the nations of western europe)
for all the world
• for any reason, no matter how great; exactly
• countries governed by democratic and capitalistic systems (as opposed to a communist system)
give to the world
• publish, advertise
in the next world
• in the world to come, in life after death
in this world
• in this life, on this planet, in normal life
• word full of industries
it's not the end of the world
• it's o.k., everything will be all right despite what you think
• underworld; world of the dead
make a noise in the world
• become famous, make oneself known, "make waves"
man of the world
• one who has experienced the world, well-traveled person
nations of the world
• countries of the world, foreign nations
• underworld, inferno
• name given to the americas during the time when they were first being explored and colonized by europeans
• the american continent is sometimes referred to as the new world, especially when talking about the discovery of this continent by europeans.
not for the world
• not in any way, no way, no chance
not the end of the world
• nothing happened, everything is all right
• business world, professional world
• eastern hemisphere (comprised of europe, asia and africa)
on top of the world
• on cloud nine, in seventh heaven, on a natural high
out of this world
• wonderful, excellent, amazing
promised the world
• promised to give everything (he/she) could ever want, promised the moon and the stars
• if you talk about the real world, you are referring to the world and life in general, usually in contrast to a particular person's own life or ideas when these seem untypical or unrealistic.
roof of the world
• top of the world, highest point on earth
sail round the world
• travel in a boat around the world
saw the world
• traveled extensively, traveled in many different countries