اسم ( noun )
عبارات: weigh anchor
• (1) تعریف: a heavy device, connected by a cable to a boat or ship, that is dropped to the bottom of a body of water to restrict the vessel's motion.
• مترادف: mooring
• مشابه: drag, sea anchor
- They found a quiet cove and dropped anchor for the night.
- They raised the anchor and set sail.
• (2) تعریف: any similar device used to prevent motion.
• مترادف: grapnel, kedge
• مشابه: grappling iron
• (3) تعریف: something that provides stability or equilibrium.
• مترادف: prop, security
• مشابه: foundation, mainstay, mooring, rock, support
- Their love for each other was the family's anchor.
• (4) تعریف: in broadcasting, the main announcer on a news program.
• مترادف: anchorman, anchorperson, anchorwoman
• مشابه: announcer, reporter
- He's more in the spotlight now that he is the anchor of the show.
فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: anchors, anchoring, anchored
• (1) تعریف: to hold steady, as with an anchor.
• مترادف: fix, secure
• مشابه: bind, fasten, hook, moor
- They anchored the tent to the ground with ropes and stakes.
• (2) تعریف: in broadcasting, to serve as anchor.
• مشابه: announce, host
- She will begin anchoring the show next week.
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
مشتقات: anchorable (adj.)
• : تعریف: to drop anchor or lie at anchor.
• مترادف: dock, moor
• مشابه: berth, dwell, reside, rest, tarry
- They anchored close to the island.