• shattering into pieces; calling off, canceling; pausing, recessing
breaking an oath
• break a pledge, cancel a vow, violate an oath
• falling apart, collapsing; collapse
breaking in period
• period of adjusting, period of becoming accustomed (to something new)
• entering into forcibly, bursting into; interrupting
• allowing oaths to be broken by dispensation
• stopping abruptly, discontinuing
breaking off contact
• breaking a connection, cutting off a relationship
breaking off the conversation
• interrupting a conversation, stop a discussion in the middle
breaking out of a detention house
• escaping out of prison, getting out of a holding facility
• point of collapse, point of falling apart
• if someone or something is at breaking point, they have reached a crisis in a particular situation, and are unable to cope any more.
breaking the law
• refusing to obey a legal judgment, violating the law
• penetrating, entering by force
• ending a romantic or friendly relationship; disassembling, taking apart
• back-breaking work is very hard physical work.
• causing bone fractures
• law-breaking is used to describe a person or an action involved in doing something that is illegal.
• something that is record-breaking is better than the previous record for a particular performance or achievement.
• strike-breaking is the activity of working at a place when other people are on strike, or of replacing workers who are on strike.