• trip in a vehicle (usually for pleasure); impelling forward (i.e. cattle drive); type of computer hardware; combined effort to accomplish a goal (i.e. fund raiser); transmission of power to machinery; impulse, inner urge; (computers) device that turns disks and tapes to read and write data (such as: hard drive, floppy drive, cd-rom drive, tape drive)
• impel forward; guide the direction of something (i.e. car, animal, etc.); travel in a car; transport in a vehicle; urge, compel; hit a ball very hard (sports); work towards a goal; rush toward
• if you drive a vehicle, you control it so that it goes where you want it to go.
• if you drive someone somewhere, you take them there in a car.
• a drive is a journey in a vehicle such as a car.
• a drive is also a private road leading from a public road to a house.
• if something drives a machine, it supplies the power that makes it work.
• if you drive a post or a nail into something, you force it in by hitting it with a hammer.
• to drive someone or something somewhere means to force them to go there.
• to drive someone into a bad state means to cause them to be in that state.
• if something drives people or things to do something that they would not normally do, it causes them to do it.
• if someone is driven by a feeling or need, this is what makes them behave as they do.
• drive is energy and determination.
• a drive is also a special effort by a group of people to achieve something.
• if you understand what someone is driving at, you understand what they are trying to say; an informal use.
• see also driven, driving, drove.
drive a bargain
• bargain, negotiate
drive a car
• conduct a car, drive an automobile
drive a coach and four through
• there is enough room
drive a hard bargain
• negotiate unyieldingly, not compromise in bargaining
drive a nail
• hammer a nail into a surface
drive a nail home
• certify, confirm serve as evidence, serve as proof
drive a nail in one's coffin
• do something that hastens one's death
drive a point home
• convince thoroughly, persuade, make a point
• try to say, intend, imply
• travel in a car away from the place; cause to flee, put to flight, route; remove all worries and doubt; chase away, force to go away
• repel, repulse, ward off, resist
• physical space inside the computer case where drives can be installed
• instance of passing by a particular location; drive-by shooting, murder or murder attempt in which assailants shoot from a moving vehicle and then flee the scene of the crime
• drive safely, take care as you drive
• make someone lose their sanity; irritate someone; infuriate someone
• letter which signifies the drive
• return to one's house by car; transport someone to their house by car; convince, persuade
• controlling mechanism within a computer
• type of removable disk drive (computers)
cd r drive
• recordable compact disc drive, compact disc drive that can write
cd rom drive
• drive which reads compact discs
• drive which is currently chosen, drive which programs refer to as a default
• computer hardware that reads and writes to and from a disk or diskette
• a disk drive is the part of a large computer which contains a disk or the part of a small computer into which a disk can be inserted. the disk drive controls the reading of data to and from the disk.
double speed drive
• compact disc drive which reads data at a rate of 300kb per second
enhanced disk drive
• (in computers) edd, virtual disk created by partitioning one disk into smaller separate disks
erasable optical disk drive
• optical disk drive which can delete, optical disk drive which can erase
• (computers) disc on key, disk-on-key, usb drive, plug and play compact mobile device that uses flash memory and is light enough to carry on a key chain
floppy disk drive
• computer hardware that reads and writes to and from a floppy disk (removable external memory device)
four wheel drive
• car transmission system that provides engine power to all four wheels; car with a four wheel drive transmission
• a four-wheel drive vehicle is one in which all four wheels are connected to the engine.
hard disk drive
• main drive on a computer that reads and writes information by magnetic means, hdd)
• disk drive which reads and writes to a hard magnetic disk (computers)
• drive which runs on the ide standard
• drive manufactured by iomega corporation that takes removable one or two gigabyte disk cartridges containing the customary hard disks
left hand drive
• a left-hand drive car, van, or lorry has the steering wheel on the left side and is designed to be driven on the right-hand side of the road.