• protection, security (also defense)
• defence is action taken to protect someone or something from attack.
• defence is also used to refer to a country's armies and weapons, and their activities.
• a defence is something that people or animals can use or do to protect themselves.
• a defence is also something that you say in support of ideas or actions that have been criticized.
• the defences of a country or region are its armed forces and weapons.
• in a court of law, a person's defence is their denial of a charge against them.
• the defence is the case presented by a lawyer in a trial for the person who has been accused of a crime, or the lawyers for this person.
• in a sports team, the defence is the group of players who try to stop the opposing team scoring a goal or a point.
• lawyers for the defendant
• defense formation or plan, strategic deployment of forces for the defense of an area
• strategic deployment of forces for defense of an area
• reaction of self-protection by an organism; mental process whereby one avoids unpleasant ideas or impulses (psychoanalysis)
• a defence mechanism is a way of behaving or thinking which is not conscious or deliberate, but is an automatic reaction to unpleasant actions or feelings such as anxiety or fear.
• defense minister, high government official responsible for the entire country's protection from its enemies
defence of duress
• exemption from criminal responsibility for actions that a person was forced to commit
defence of intoxication ...