• material used to fill a cavity in a tooth; stuffing; act of making full
• satiating, satisfying
• a filling is a small amount of metal or plastic that a dentist puts in a hole in a tooth.
• the filling in a pie, chocolate, sandwich, or cake is the mixture inside it.
• the filling in a piece of soft furniture such as a sofa is the material inside the cushions.
• food that is filling makes you feel full when you have eaten it.
• see also fill.
filling in for
• substituting for, replacing, standing in for
• (british) gas station
• a filling station is a place where you can buy petrol and oil for your car.
backing and filling
• fluctuating between two actions or decisions, constantly changing a decision, delaying a decision continually (american slang); guiding a water vessel through a narrow area by alternately letting the sails catch the wind and preventing the sails from catching the wind (nautical);
• cheese mixture placed inside baked foods
• smooth chocolate food used to fill baked foods
• fruit preserve used as a filling (in cookies, cakes, etc.)
• filling in a tooth that is meant to last for a long time
• potato mixture used to fill pastries
• raisin mixture used to fill pastries
• spinach mixture used inside baked foods
temporary filling• den ...