فعل گذرا ( transitive verb )
حالات: offends, offending, offended
• (1) تعریف: to anger, annoy, or provoke resentment in.
• مترادف: abuse, affront, anger, gall, insult, irk, miff, nettle, pique, rile, torment, vex
• مشابه: aggravate, embarrass, exasperate, humiliate, incense, injure, nauseate, outrage, rankle, slight, snub, wound
- The speaker's harsh criticisms offended some members of the audience.
- Cruelty to animals offends most people.
- The statement was perceived as an ethnic slur, and it offended many.
• (2) تعریف: to be disagreeable to (the sense of taste or smell).
• مترادف: disgust, nauseate, repel, revolt, sicken
- The taste of the cheese is quite nice, but I have to admit that the smell offends me.
• (3) تعریف: to violate or sin against (a law, religious precept, or the like).
• مترادف: breach, transgress, violate
• مشابه: break, disgust
- The group claims that the new law would offend the Constitution.
فعل ناگذر ( intransitive verb )
مشتقات: offender (n.)
• (1) تعریف: to cause anger, displeasure, or resentment.
• مترادف: pique
• مشابه: chafe, embarrass
- If I have offended in any way, I deeply apologize.
• (2) تعریف: to violate a human or divine law, rule, or standard of conduct.
• مترادف: err, sin, transgress, trespass
• مشابه: backslide, fall, infringe