• measurement of water depth by means of a line and lead; measurements obtained by sounding with a lead and line; measurement of atmospheric conditions (meteorology)
• making a noise, producing a loud sound, resonant; making loud meaningless noises
• unmanned balloon that carries instruments at a great height to make atmospheric measurements
• board within a musical instrument which strengthens the sound; one who listens to new ideas and gives feedback for evaluation
• if you use someone as a sounding board, you discuss your ideas with them while you are working them out.
• words that are meaningless, comments or remarks that have no substance
• measuring tape
• staff used as a yardstick, stick used to measure
sounding the alarm
• activating a warning system
• high-sounding language or ideas seem very grand and important, although often they are not at all important.